Skip to main content

New Look 6212

Happy New Year, everyone! 

I finished New Look 6212 back in maybe late November? But these photos have been sitting on my camera for a while. 


I ended up making the pleated version, mostly in View A in a size 10 with no adjustments, omitting the sleeves. I tend to prefer to wear mostly sleeveless tops with a cardigan over them. 


This super-lightweight floral fabric is from the Vogue Fabrics in Evanston and will be amazing to wear in the spring and summer!

 Yes, that is a septum ring you see in some of these photos (lighten up, it's just fashion!). The pleats in this weren't necessarily hard to do, but I did fight for a good period of time to get both sides to line up evenly. They still aren't 100% but sometimes you just have to go with the best lining up you can and get on with life.





I love how open and swingy this is and yet structured with the buttons down the front.

On another note, I don't generally make "sewing resolutions" for New Year's but I do want to focus this year on creating all of my own sewing patterns again. Back when I started this blog in 2010-ish, every single thing I would post was a design of my own from my own sewing blocks from fashion school.

I miss patternmaking but have been having a hard time now even finding the chunk of time I would like to use to create my patterns. After creating my sister's wedding dress patterns fairly quickly, I regained the confidence I once had in making patterns and need to do it again!

I also started using commercial patterns more to see if there were any tips and tricks I could learn from them as far as a pattern design is concerned (a little, but not as much as I can already usually figure out on my own).

So yeah -- patternmaking my own garments again, and also REALLY taking steps to making any of the designs that work out into PDF sewing patterns for all of you out there in TV Land to sew up yourself! In 2014 I built up a PDF pattern soooo close to at least pattern testing, but life got super weird. (Still have it, still may finish it, who knows.)

I also have way more knowledge from taking a PDF class later on that year via Burda which was helpful.

I'm not making any promises, but those are things I am hoping to make good on. Let's see where 2018 takes us!

Next up: I am making my own trench coat (since my old one I love so much is 7 years old and super busted up) and using Sewaholic's Robson Coat pattern!

I also have a Burda pattern on deck to sew (super quick long sleeve top) and another Simplicity duster cardigan deal. I can still make those according to my rules, but any new patterns must be made by me. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using